Monday, June 08, 2009

Electric box painting weekend 1


This weekend was the start for my project. I headed out friday to primer the box. When I was given a picture of what box I would have, I was a little disappointed. It was in a crappy location - one side facing a dumpster. Also the box was not just a flat sided box, there was a lot of reccesed areas, and the dimensions were not the simple ones he provided. Without knowing this before I got there and seeing it, I was a little ticked because there was a perfectly square box with room to walk all around right in front of this one. So being upset and a little arrogant I was just going to steal this box and paint it. So Friday I started priming that box. On Saturday when I got there and was about to put my artwork up to it, I realized the dimensions were far off from what I had. So, I had to make a choice- Do I rework the graphics to fit this large box, or settle with the box I was given which is actually less area to paint? I decided I should be a good girl and stick with the box I was given. I did have to rework my graphics a little bit, but generally it made it easier becuase there wasn't as much to paint. I didn't bring the primer with my Sat because I figured I wouldn't need it, althought I had a bit of intuition I might take the other box. Should have listened to my gut. That just meant that I had to wait longer for the metal paint to dry to get the other under painting layer on. I ran into a couple interesting people that day. One guy strolled past wearing these tiny athletic shorts. He sat down and starts rambling to me about what Im doing. I didn't understand him very well because he had a thick accent and was talking soo fast. He was trying to light the tiniest roach I had seen, still rambling on. After not having very much luck with his roach, and a simple 'yes' or 'mmm hmmm' out of me (simple response when your no cemprende?). He then continues to pace back and forth on the sidewalk. I'm talking a break while waiting for my paint to dry, easting my sandwich. He walks by and eye balls my sandwich. In another lap asks if he can try a bite. I understand that part, but quickly say no. Then each pace he makes he asks again for a bite. Nope. Nope. Sorry. Uh uh. A man, why not? Cause it's mine and Im hungry (not to mention Im not a fan of sharing my sandwich with a crack head). So that day ended early because I had to wait for the paint to dry, which takes FOREVER. This put me a day behind because I was being all anti and screw-the-man-do-my-own-thing, where as if I would have just followed directions, I would have been right on schedule. That night I had to adjust my art so it would fit on the box. There were a lot of different levels for this box, so I had to decide how I wanted to paint it. I just decided to take the largest sides and forget the smal recesses and such. I didn't get back out to the box Sunday till 2 for errands and stuff. When I got there, I had company. The box that I had primed was grided out and an artist was starting to work on it. Well, thanks Rachel for taking care of that for me. SO it was nice to have company then anyways. Once I got set up, I started to transfer the image, and get the first color on. Lots of people would stop and talk, so it was a bit difficult to keep a steady pace. So between the bugs and people interferring, I didn't accomplish as much as I wanted.
Check out the cool things the paint thinner would do when mixing with the paint.

No comments: