Sunday, May 31, 2009

Electric Box art finished

After A LOT of hard work, researching, drawing and redrawing, and redrawing, I have finally finished - ready to paint - the art for the electric box I was commissioned for. I submitted the comps to the guy, and he said it was awesome, actually I think the word he used was 'incredible'. He was really stoked on them and got me the approval almost instantly. Also he worked to get me a very large box in a good location. The box is going to be 5' high, 5' wide, 4' deep. Thats huge for me!!
Anyways, I had to go along a certain category/theme, and that was "Historical Perspectives: Days Gone By". Seeing how I love music, that would be something that would keep me motivated to keep with it and actually finish it (granted interrupted by a couple months), but finished none the less. So it is musicians of a certain era, with a appropriate for the times the current transporation, music playing device and border graphics. I start painting this coming weekend, and have to have it finished by the 20th.
The paint used for this is metal enamel, same stuff they use for pin-stripping, and any metal painting. It is very thick, high viscosity for you arties, so halftones are difficult to achieve accurately. That why it is done in a way that will be stencil/silk screen sort of style.

20-40's

Ella Fitzgerald, Woodie Gunthrie, Louis Armstrong + train

40-60's

Elvis, Johnny Cash, Arethra Franklin, Chuck Berry + 59 Caddy

60-80's

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Nico, Bob Marley + 69 Nova

80-2000's

Beastie Boys, Blondie, Joey Ramone, Kurt Cobain, Joe Strummer + 80 Trans Am

1 comment:

Jess Morris said...

OH WOW!!! Rach! This really IS Incredible!!! I can't wait to see the box all done! I still have to see your other one in real life :)