Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Missing concert updates and photos

Let me see, back in October, Pearl Jam made it down to SD. It was the last stop on their tour, well- for the most part. They played a couple shows in Philie at the Paladium I believe, with Social D!! Oh man, wish I could have been there. It was right at Halloween so they came out for their encore dressed in Devo costumes.
But how about the show I went to ... It was incredible 2.5 hrs, 32 song set. They played so many good oldoes, and quite a few newbies. A couple I was happy to hear was Given to Fly, Last Kiss (which they played facing the crowd behind the stage), and I Got Id. I was hoping for Smile, but at least I Got Id. My seat wasn't that great, but still worth it. The guy in front of me had to get used to my super loud whistling skills. I about deafened him in the beginning, but told him this power can't last the whole set.

Main Set: Last Exit, Corduroy, Severed Hand, Brain of J, Elderly Woman, Amongst the Waves, Johnny Guitar, Even Flow, Unthought Known, Parachutes, Daughter/Hey Let Go, I Got Id, You Are, Force of Nature, Got Some, Do the Evolution, RVM.

First Encore: The End (Ed Solo, No Strings), Red Mosquito W/ Ben Harper, Happy Birthday for Keith's Daughter (16), Given to Fly, Last Kiss to ppl behind stage, The Fixer, Life Wasted.

Second Encore: Why Go, Black, Better Man/Save it for Later, Little Wing (Ed's guitar teacher on Guitar, Matt's guitar teacher on drums), So You Wanna be a Rock and Roll Star, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner.

Ed said its Friday night in their 2nd home. "We will be here a while tonight." Ed give speech before Better Man about Mike and Matt's connection to San Diego and mentions their old teacher is in the crowd, which they played a song with. Ed told story about asking Gas Station boss if he could get a mohawk so he could be a rock star.

Pretty awesome show, definatly on cloud 9 after that. And I wore the shirt from that show pretty much consecutivly for about 2 weeks.







-----------------------------------------------------------

In November the Dropkick Murphey's came to town. I have never seen them, and to make it even better the Youth Brigade was coming with them.
Youth Brigade is a classic 80's punk band. One of their most famous bits is a tour they did with Social D back in 82. So it was interesting after seeing this video then to see the guys, 30 years later, old and still rocking it!! The singer does sound the same for the most part. They were really fun to see, and after their set I was already drenched in sweat. For a few of my favorite songs I was able to make a couple rounds in the pit- it was much more chill than Dropkicks pit.

Then came Dropkicks. The crowd was much more intense for their show. It was interesting to see the difference of the crowds for this show. It seemed the younger kids were up front, crowding and slamming while to older veterans were in the back singing along to every word. I snuck up front for a bit, but then thought Id make my way back to safer territory. The pits and crowd here were a lot more crazy, much faster and forceful. I wish it would have been just a friendly circle to jump around and dance, because thats what you do to Dropkicks! Althought it does give a bit of jump and punch vibe, but much more jigging.

On stage with a acordian and banjo, and seriously rocking out!

One of the singers is seriously hot (one the left with mic), oh man, my type of guy.

Whole band shot.

The last song played was Kiss Me Im Shitfaced and they let all the Girls from the crowd come on stage. There was some chic who loved being on stage, and was just putting on her own show. I would have been over by the singer dancing and screaming with him.
Great show and Im glad I got to see them.

No comments: