Sunday, July 19, 2009

Weekend tid-bits

(I hope this doesn't get emailed out when I post it, if you get this post in your email, please let me know)
This weekend there was an event called CANstruction. It was a benefit for the San Diego Food Bank where Architects and designers would build structures- buildings, animals etc out of cans. Although it turned out to be rather a dissapointment. Not many companies submitted, there were only 2 structures actually. I suppose the 'recession' having left a lot of firms lower on staff, and summer schedules could be the reason. But the two that were there were sufficient.

This one is suppose to be the Obama campaign logo. It was interesting to read the write up for this. It was a school that made this, and they put a lot of thought into what cans they used to build it, so they signified key parts of 'americanism'. I don't think it represents the logo well, why they didn't make it round would have done it. But pretty cool how they found cans that were sort of parallelogram to give the wave.


This one is supposed to be Wall-E. I thought it was pretty cool how they used bags of beans for the wheel/tank belt.


Friday caught Carlos band at the Tin Can Ale House. Nice little bar, but I questioned if you tip someone who just opens a can.
Check out my random car spotting blog, caught a couple good ones this weekend.
Sat went around with Esther to get out of the house and heat of east county. Wentt o La Jolla Whole Foods for a Wine and cheese tasting that was from a vineyard in Temecula. Found a yummy sparking syrah. Who knew there was sparkling red?!
After that since we were in La Jolla and could smell the beach, we had to make our way there. The drive to the beach from where we are is one of the best scenic routes in SD. We got there just as high tide was coming in, and as you can see there isn't much beach before you get to the cliffs. The marine layer was real dense right by the beach, just in half a mile it was clear skies. Very nice out though. Nice day with Esther.

Sunday I cleaned and organized my house for about 4 hours. Lots of organizing and putting away stuff that started to accumulate in places. I hadn't had a chance to dispose of or put away the painting supplies from the other weekend. I wasn't exactly sure how you are supposed to dispose of old, used up paint cans. Its harsh chemicals, so I wasn't sure if you could just throw it out. Turns out I guess thats what you do. I googled it to make sure, and it said take the lids off and if theres a bit left then out some cat litter to help dry it up. Then just put it in a plastic lined box and set it out by the trash. I now have a nice clean corner where it has been habbitating for the past 6 months (since starting my first project).
That being cleaned I had a big amp that the stuff was sitting on. I wanted to use that amp under my desk, so that got me to remove the boxes and crap that I had stashed under it. It was just old modem boxes and electronic cables and such. So that prompted me to get rid of all my old dead electronics (cell phones, cameras, speakers, wires). turns out Good Will has a electronic recycling program. That was good to find out because I had developed a bag of give away clothes, so 2 errands in one stop, Score! I even went to the library and finished my grocery shopping by 5.
So after cooking a yummy meal of lemon garlic pork roast with tiny potatoes and green beans (mmmmm)–

Its time to take care of a few sketches I would do for a friend. Pretty productive day Rach, good job!

No comments: