Monday, April 27, 2009

FINISHED ALBUM DESIGN!!!!!!!

Well finally, after about 2 months in process (with many weekends off mind you), Jozef and I finally sent to print his album. It sure was quite a feat working with someone who is on a differ4ent continent, and half a day ahead of you.
We started off with 3 design directions. After some input on what he was looking for and photo requirements, I had an idea that I thought worked really well. Also he changed the name of the alnum to something much better too. Then it was just a matter of getting the info from him, which at times did not come through clearly.
But I think what is the final result definatly represents some aspects of his music. One of the most difficult parts was making it so it was something that would fit in with his music genre, and and visually publish him accuratly. I think this was difficult because I wasn't really familiar with his music scene, to know what others are doing. But thats ok, cause his isn't going to be like anybody elses!
It was funny too, this weekend we were really wrapping things up, correcting small things and edits. I had done the layout of the album at my work computer. The background and images I did at home. Trouble was, the program that I created the layout in was not compatable with what I had at home. Also as an easier way to edit the small things, we figured I can just send the working files to Jozef and he can make any small edits.
Well, never having worked with one of the top of the line publication design programs, it can be like painting amasterpiece in the dark. But since I am such an 'expert' in the program, I could tel him what he needed to do and where to go even without seeing the work.
Then after he got everything generally in place, it was 2am for him, so bedtime. He sent me what the file was like, so I could check it out. Lets just say the type was not to my liking. But its not his fault, just needed some font substitutions. Once he took care of those, he was going to head off to the printer. But I needed to see them before he went to the printer. That time would be afternoon for me, while I am still in dream land. And sure enough, a ring-a-ling comes in at 4am. I didnt mind though. If my nameis on it as design and layout, Ill do what ever I need to get it to my approval. So with just a little but of edits, he was ready for the printer.
And without and further adu, here it is. (BTW, the case is a paper jewel case with a clear cd holder. )
Cover
Interior spread- cd will go over collage.
Back
CD (obvuiously). The type color is different on the final. Thats a fish head on the cd that Jozef took a pic of in Alaska that he asked me to use somehow.
Well, thats it. I am really relieved that it is finally done, and the way it turned out. My first cd design, yeah!!
He says it should be printed and ready near the end of May. So keep your ear open, and SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL/FAMILY MUSICIAN, BUY A CD!!

2 comments:

Jess Morris said...

This turned out great! I love it! I want one! :D

Jess Morris said...

I just checked out your Bro's myspace! He's awesome! Right up my alley! I really am going to buy a CD!!!